Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

In Honor of My Father

Since tomorrow is Father’s Day, I thought it would be appropriate to share some thoughts about Fathers.

My first thought centers on my dad, Norman. Many of you have met him and know him to be a great man. He has been involved in Christian Ministry all his life, sometime full-time, but usually in a bi-vocational way. He celebrated his 74th birthday in April, and he is still actively serving at Beulah Baptist Church in Sopchoppy, FL, as the Associate Pastor.

I can say with full honesty that there is not a single undesirable trait in my Dad’s life – no caveats, no qualifications, no asterisks directing you to the fine print at the bottom of the page. I would like to be like him in all ways. He probably has an old sin nature somewhere, but I’ve never seen it. He is the human product of my Grandfather, Everett Mayfield, another great man, but that will have to come in another column.

I realize full well that there are many men who were not blessed with good Fathers. The stories I hear are heart-breaking. Because of this, I thank God for graciously blessing me with my Dad. He was good to us growing up, and he could also be severe. I still remember a time in the seventh grade not wanting to dress out in the locker room because of the bruises on my butt from a paddling I richly deserved.

It is often said that children develop their sense of God based on their human father, which is probably why I have never struggled with God’s goodness and severity (Rom. 11:22). I fully expect Him to provide for and take care of me (1 Pt. 5:7), and to discipline me in love when I need that as well (Heb. 12:6), because that is how I grew up.

As I think about being a father myself, I focus on the truth that it is an impossible task apart from God’s gracious intervention. No man has it within himself to be a really good dad. Each of the virtues necessary to excel at fatherhood are either unnatural to man (patience, gentleness, meekness, kindness, etc.) or contorted by him (drive, ambition, discipline, etc.). Only God has the ability to infuse a man with the attributes necessary to be a godly father.

I see my failures as a father with great clarity. I have a tendency toward selfishness and laziness, both of which are detrimental to godliness in general and good fathering in particular. The remedy for failure as a father is found in contrition (Ps. 51:2-3) and resolution (Ps. 51:10, 13). Our Heavenly Father has promised to empower the humble father who desires to be a godly father. “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me (2 Cor. 12:9).”

Any man who wants to be a godly father has a tough row to hoe. Our culture doesn’t support him, our media belittles him, and our adversary targets him. The important things in life are difficult to achieve and costly to maintain. As we contemplate this thought, let’s remember Paul’s admonition in 1 Cor. 15:58. “Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

No comments:

Post a Comment